- Animal Care: Daily husbandry, exhibit maintenance, supervised animal training, animal observations and diet preparation.
- Guest Interactions: Formal and informal interactions with Zoo guests through animal encounters, talks, tours etc.
- Project: All interns are required to complete a project, determined by curator.
- Research: Become familiar with zoo population management strategies, natural history, current research and conservation studies related to animals in area of internship.
- Other related duties as assigned.
- Must receive college credits for internship and provide proof from college adviser.
- Minimum 1 year of college with minimum 2.5 overall GPA
- Required levels of animal care experience vary between animal area placements.
- Interns must agree to a 10 consecutive week commitment
o At least 3, 8 hour days a week
o Longer internships are available and highly recommended
Interns will be expected and required to interact with a diverse team of animal care staff, interns and volunteers. Interns will be expected to follow direction of full time staff for their personal safety and safety/care of all animals in the area. Interns will be expected to work regular animal care schedules including weekends and holidays if applicable during placement term. This internship is a physically demanding experience and will require intermediate levels of strength and flexibility as well as the ability to work outdoors and in all types of weather conditions. Uniforms will be provided to all interns upon start of internship. Interns will be evaluated regularly by mentors on performance and knowledge. Gulf Breeze Zoo reserves the right to dismiss an individual from the keeper internship at any point during the term.
All Zookeeper Internships are Unpaid
$50.00 to be paid upon acceptance
All Summer Internship Positions Have Been Filled
Fall Deadline: September 1st
Contact: Katy Rich, firstname.lastname@example.org